Monday, April 9, 2007

Happy Easter!

I hope you all had a lovely Easter/Passover/spring day!

As far as cooking goes, this was definately a good weekend. The highlight was definately hot cross buns, a traditional British treat that can be enjoyed by vegans and non-vegans alike. Honestly, this was one of the most successful things I've baked for a long time (even better than the pumpkin muffins from yesterday). The buns were buttery, sticky, spice-y, citrus-y, fruit-studded goodness. They're even better the next day, split in half, toasted, and slathered with butter. Mmmm. I've you've never had a proper hot cross bun (the kind usually available in the US are not proper, because they've got icing on top, which is never to be found on a British bun. You can't exactly toast icing, can you?) do yourself a favour and make these! The recipe is at the end of the post.

(That's not meant to sound self-indulgent, it's just that these were really good!)


I also made a glass noodle salad. This was super easy and lots of fun to make. And it was fat free! Which was good, because the buns definately were not. Glass noddles are so much fun to cook. You start with a tiny bundle of white threads, which you put in hot water. Five minutes later, you've got delightfully stretch, 4-feet long, translucent noodles. I made a simple lime-soy sauce dressing for the salad. I wish I had had more veggies to put in it, but I didn't. Next time!

And finally, I made a composed salad of avocado, pink grapefruit segments and red onion, with a squeeze of lime and a sprinkle of salt on top. Normally I'm not one for composed salads--they seem so fussy-- but this one was really easy and tasty. Citrus segments are so easy to make, but they make a dish seem so fancy. I would serve this at a dinner party any time.


Actually, I'm pretty tired, so I'll post the recipe tomorrow if people are interested!

2 comments:

vko said...

Happy Easter!

Those buns look deliciously decadent and perfect.
Also love the glass noodle salad- what a great idea, I love glass noodles- such an asian thing...

Anonymous said...

will you post the recipe for the hot cross buns? pretty please? [I understand if you won't, no worries.]